May is Better Hearing and Speech Month
What is Better Hearing and Speech Month?Better Hearing and Speech Month (BHSM) is an annual observance dedicated to raising awareness about communication disorders and promoting access to treatment and support for those who experience hearing and speech challenges. BHSM was first established by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA) in 1927, and since then, it has become a global movement that promotes advocacy, education, and community outreach to help people with hearing and speech difficulties achieve their full potential.
Why Better Hearing and Speech Month is ImportantHearing and speech are essential aspects of human communication, allowing us to express ourselves, connect with others, and navigate the world around us. However, millions of people worldwide experience communication disorders that affect their ability to hear, speak, and understand others. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), over 432 million adults and 34 million children worldwide require rehabilitation to address their disabling hearing loss—and more than 25% of adults over the age of 60 are affected by it. Additionally, speech disorders, such as stuttering, articulation disorders, and language delays, affect millions of children and adults and can significantly impact their social, emotional, and academic development.
Better Hearing and Speech Month is important because it brings attention to these issues and promotes access to resources that can help individuals with communication disorders. Many people with hearing loss or communication disorders are not aware that they have a problem, and they may delay seeking treatment, which can have serious consequences.
Early detection and intervention are crucial for preventing communication disorders from becoming more severe and affecting a person's ability to communicate effectively. By raising awareness about these issues, Better Hearing and Speech Month helps to ensure that people get the help they need to improve their hearing and speech abilities.
What You Can Do to Improve Hearing and Speech for You, Your Child, and OthersIf you are concerned about hearing or speech abilities, here are some practical things you can do or recommend:
- Get a hearing test: If experiencing hearing loss or other hearing-related problems, getting a hearing test is the first step. A hearing test can help determine the extent of the hearing loss and the best course of treatment.
- Practice good communication skills: This includes speaking clearly and slowly, using gestures and facial expressions to help convey your message, and actively listening to the person you are communicating with.
- Use assistive devices: There are many devices available that can help improve hearing and speech abilities, such as the ones listed on the National Institute on Deafness and Other Communication Disorders.
- Seek professional help: If experiencing hearing or speech-related problems, it's important to seek professional help. This can include seeing an audiologist or speech-language pathologist who can diagnose and treat these conditions.
- Share this blog and pass on the insights, awareness, and recommendations.
How Trestle Therapy Group Can Help Improve Speech AbilitiesTrestle Therapy Group specializes in helping individuals of all ages enhance their speech, communication, and overall quality of life. Our care starts by identifying the root causes and then creating a progressive treatment plan that builds the foundation for growth and success. We are one of the few speech therapists in the Midwest certified in orofacial myofunctional therapy, which addresses abnormal movement patterns of the face and mouth. Our services for patients from infants to adults include orofacial myofunctional therapy and speech language pathology. We also offer pediatric occupational and physical therapies. As a caring and collaborative group of medical professionals, Trestle provides comprehensive therapies that are customized to each patient’s needs. We invite you to check our website for more information on how we can help.
Better Hearing and Speech Month is an important awareness campaign that promotes the importance of communication disorders and hearing health. By taking practical steps to improve hearing and speech abilities, you, your child, and others can improve your quality of life and enjoy better communication with those around you.
We know you’re looking for answers, and we’re here to helpSee our FAQs